November 1, 2018
- Montana’s application for a federal STOP School Violence and Prevention Act grant through the U.S. Department of Justice was successful. It is a 3-year, $500,000 grant with a 25% state match. The grant focuses on professional development for creating positive school climates and preventing school violence. The OPI will hire one federal FTE to assist in the creation of Teacher Learning Hub courses, to provide in-person professional development at education conferences, and to implement “Second Step” social-emotional learning programs in schools. The University of Montana Safe Schools Center is written into the grant as a partner.
- Montana DID NOT receive the Grants to States for School Emergency Management Programs from the Department of Education for assisting in school emergency management planning.
- Legislative School Safety Summit: The OPI will host a school safety summit on January 7th in the Capitol to showcase for legislators safety initiatives taking place in schools.
The OPI is in the process of posting our external events on the state’s public calendar.
OPI Email Subscriptions
To subscribe to various OPI email listserves, click this link: http://opi.mt.gov/Educators/OPI-Communication
Superintendent’s October Events
- Construction Week events and NW MASS meeting in the Flathead
- Youth Entrepreneurs meeting in Billings
- Meeting with Helena Superintendent and Helena Mayor
- Meetings with the Governor’s office
- National School Lunch Week celebration with Warren Elementary in Helena
- Speech to the Association of Career and Technical Educators in Billings
- Presentations to the Montana Conference of Education Leadership
- Visiting an after school program at Bryant Elementary in Helena
- Recurring State Library Board, Land Board, Education Advocates, and MIC 3 meetings