March 1, 2018
Hello Montana parents, students, educators, and community members,
Here are the latest updates in Montana education:
With the tragedy in Florida and recent security incidents in schools across Montana, school and student safety must be a top priority. The OPI has discussed school safety with statewide education stakeholders and legislators and plans to continue the conversation on how we can better promote school security and student safety. We are encouraging school districts to review their emergency operations plans as outlined in MCA 20-1-401.
Teacher of the Year
Nominations and applications for the 2019 Montana Teacher of the Year are open! Please help spread the word and nominate a deserving teacher. More info can be found here.
Mental Health Awareness
The OPI is partnering with country music artist and mental health advocate Jason DeShaw to spread the message of hope to students across Montana. He visited twelve schools last fall and is touring eight more this spring. Check out our recent coverage from Bozeman.
2017 AP Results
The College Board released national and statewide Advanced Placement data from the class of 2017. Montana saw a slight increase in participation and scoring. You can review the press release for a more in-depth look at the results.
Superintendent’s Recent Activities
- Met with school leaders in Clinton and Missoula to discuss the MCLP grants, adult education, and education policy
- Met with UM President Seth Bodnar and Commissioner of Higher Education Clayton Christian regarding K-12 and higher education collaboration
- Met with leaders from the Education Commission of the States
- Met with MASS leadership and MSUB Chancellor Ron Larsen in Billings
- Met with College Board leadership
- Met with Montana Afterschool Alliance leadership
- Met with Ag leaders to discuss the future of the Ag in the Classroom program
- Hosted a monthly meeting with Montana’s statewide education stakeholder groups
- Participated in an executive meeting of the Montana Library Commission
- Participated in an important Land Board meeting