Elsie Arntzen is Montana's Superintendent of Public Instruction
November 1, 2019
2018-2019 State Assessment Results
The OPI released ACT results on September 13th, SBAC results on October 4th, and CRT results on October 7th. NAEP results were released on October 30th. Local results are on GEMS.
Every Student Succeeds Act (ESSA) Updates
The OPI is preparing to submit two amendments to Montana’s state ESSA plan and is currently seeking feedback. The first amendment is to change the exit criteria for English Learners as measured by the WIDA assessment from a 5.0 to a 4.7. The second is to update the Title IV, Part A allocation process. Additional details can be found on the OPI’s ESSA webpage. The public is invited to provide comments via email to ESSAinput@mt.gov. Comments will be accepted until November 18th. Updated school, district, and state report cards will be posted in early-December with the exception of local financial data which will be added in February 2020. Report cards can be viewed at this link.
New Student Support Services Director
Jenifer Cline has been hired as Montana’s new Director of Student Support Services. Ms. Cline will oversee the Office of Public Instruction’s special education, gifted & talented, and early childhood programs. Jenifer has worked in the OPI’s Student Support Services Division since 2017. She previously worked in school districts throughout Montana and Idaho for nearly 20 years in the special education and speech pathology fields. Ms. Cline has a Bachelor’s and Master’s Degree in Speech and Hearing Sciences from Washington State University-Pullman along with a Class 3 Montana Educator’s License and Montana Speech Pathology Board License.
Superintendent’s Office October Events
- Montana Equipment Dealers Association conference in Whitefish
- Montana PTA convention in Great Falls
- CTE Signing Day at MSU
- Construction Week events in Bozeman
- CTAE conference in Great Falls
- Meeting with Rocky Mountain College and the Billings Chamber of Commerce
- MIC3 military children conference in Colorado
- Red Ribbon Week parade in East Helena
- JMG conference in Helena
- Executive Leadership Team meeting of the Transportation Safety Committee
- Land Board, Education Advocates, Governor’s Office, and Library Board meetings