July 5, 2018
Hello Montana parents, students, educators, and community members,
From all of us at the Office of Public Instruction, we hope that you are having a safe and relaxing summer! The OPI is ensuring a smooth transition into the new fiscal year and preparing for the upcoming school year. Due to IT maintenance and security updates, some online systems may be temporarily down. Thank you for your patience as we are always striving to provide the best possible public service.
School safety conversations are ongoing at the OPI. The negotiated rulemaking committee for school emergency response plans membership is being finalized, collaborated meetings with stakeholders are ongoing, the OPI is in the process of completing a STOP grant application, and Superintendent Arntzen is continuing to serve on CCSSO’s school safety steering committee with telephone and in-person meetings scheduled for July.
Montana Learn: Summer Reading and Math Resources
As part of Superintendent Arntzen’s “Montana Learn” initiative to promote math and reading achievement, the OPI is encouraging students to stay engaged in learning during the summer break. The OPI’s website has links to summer reading and math challenges that tailor book lists or math lessons to students’ interests and ability.
Superintendent’s June Events
- School safety meeting with the Montana Department of Justice
- Introductions to the new leader of the University of Montana Safe Schools Center
- Address to the 2018 Montana Boys State delegates
- Participation in Mansfield Center’s NEW Leadership Institute to inspire young women
- Meeting with USDA Food & Nutrition Service Regional Director
- Monthly Land Board Meeting
- Meeting of the State Library Commission
- Presentation to international teachers from the Mansfield Center
- Address to the 2018 Montana Girls State delegates
- Presentation to the Education Interim Committee
- Meeting with the Governor’s Office to discuss workforce development
- Visit to East Helena summer food service sites
- Participation in the Montana Behavioral Institute at MSU
- Participation in the Education Commission of the States conference and meetings with the Department of Education and Congressional leaders
For more information, contact firstname.lastname@example.org or 406-444-3559.