Elsie Arntzen is Montana's Superintendent of Public Instruction
March 31, 2020
I want to thank Montana's students, teachers, parents, and school leaders for your tremendous leadership in these extraordinary times! The OPI is here to serve you each and every day.
- To view the latest updates and press releases from the OPI, DPHHS, the Governor’s Office, and other state agencies visit this LINK.
- For education resources and updates related to COVID-19 visit this LINK.
- Be sure to sign up for the OPI’s newsletters at this LINK.
- The U.S. Department of Education has approved the OPI’s request to waive requirements for the 2019-2020 school year assessment, accountability, and reporting for states and local education agencies under ESSA. The waiver still requires the OPI to solicit public comment on the request. Any comments on this waiver should be directed to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Montana is projected to receive $41.3 million through the Title I formula (but with local flexibility over use) and $8.8 million for the Governor’s Emergency Education Relief Fund from the federal CARES Act. The OPI will share with districts their projected allocations as soon as they are available. Districts are also able to directly apply for Project SERV funds which can be used for a variety of disaster responses: https://www2.ed.gov/programs/dvppserv/applicant.html
Superintendent’s Office COVID-19 Outreach
- Six calls with district and county superintendents
- Phone call with the Governor
- Phone call with Secretary DeVos
- Phone Call with Assistant Secretary Mark Schultz on Special Education
- Phone call with Deputy Education Secretary Zais and State Superintendents from ND, SD, WY, ID, and AK
- Seven press releases issued on OPI’s actions and waiver requests
- Dozens of media interviews
- Dedicated COVID-19 education webpage with resources and udpates
- Constant communication with the Governor’s office, education associations, Congressional offices, the Department of Education, DPHHS, and the Montana Coronavirus task force
- Waiver requests to provide schools with flexibility in delivering alternative education and nutrition services