June 1, 2018
Hello Montana parents, students, educators, and community members,
Happy end to the 2017-2018 school year! We at the OPI hope that your graduation ceremonies and other end of the school year activities are going well. We have enjoyed serving you this school year and look forward to working with you next year. Have a great summer! Check out Superintendent Arntzen’s graduation message in the Billings Gazette.
This summer the OPI will be putting together a negotiated rulemaking committee to begin reviewing the procedures around school emergency operations plans as outlined in MCA 20-1-401. The committee will convene in August. Superintendent Arntzen continues to serve on the Council of Chief State School Officers school safety working group.
New Faces in the Superintendent’s Office
Superintendent Arntzen has brought on a new Deputy Superintendent for Operations, Jule Walker, and a new Deputy Superintendent for Education Services, Susie Hedalen. Sydney Bangerter and Phoebe Williams are also joining the Superintendent’s team in administrative positions to ensure that we are as responsive to your needs as possible.
Summer Reading and Math Resources
As part of Superintendent Arntzen’s “Montana Learn” initiative to promote math and reading achievement, the OPI is encouraging students to stay engaged in learning during the summer break. With the school year wrapping up, we are working with Meta Metrics to promote free summer reading and math resources that families can take advantage of. The OPI’s website has links to summer reading and math challenges that tailor book lists or math lessons to students’ interests and ability. This is meant to reinforce what they learned in the previous school year. There are also achievement certificates that can be printed.
Superintendent’s May Events
- NASA downlink from the International Space Station with Laurel students.
- Meeting with Department of Commerce Director Pam Haxby-Cote to discuss the Montana Ready Communities Initiative
- Meeting with the Montana DOJ to discuss school safety
- Preliminary budget meetings with the Budget Office for the next biennium
- Monthly meeting with the Governor’s office
- Monthly meeting with statewide education stakeholder groups
- Board of Public Education meeting
- Meeting with Congressman Gianforte’s office
- State Administration and Veteran’s Affairs Interim Legislative Committee meeting to present on the Montana Council on Educational Opportunity for Military Children
- Meeting of the Montana Council on Educational Opportunity for Military Children
- Preliminary discussions with the Department of Corrections for an MOU to coordinate student services
- Monthly Land Board meeting
- Board of Regents meeting and opening of MSU-Northern’s new Diesel Mechanics Center
- Montana Energy Summit in Billings
For more information, contact email@example.com or 406-444-3559.