The Office of Public Instruction believes that students must be healthy and safe to maximize their learning potential. The Department of Student Support Services within the agency is tasked with supporting students, families, schools, and communities in strategies to meet these needs. Staff within the Department of Student Support Services utilize the Whole School, Whole Community, Whole Child (WSCC) Model to inform their work. The WSCC model includes five youth tenants:
- Healthy: Each student enters school healthy and learns about and practices a healthy lifestyle.
- Safe: Each student learns in an environment that is physically and emotionally safe for students and adults.
- Engaged: Each student is actively engaged in learning and is connected to the school and broader community.
- Supported: Each student has access to personalized learning and is supported by qualified, caring adults.
- Challenged: Each student is challenged academically and prepared for success in college or further study and for employment.
For more information about this model, please visit The Whole School, Whole Community, Whole Child (WSCC) Model home page.