The School Computer Equipment Program was authorized by the 1999 Legislature (18-6-101, MCA) and is administered by the Office of Public Instruction.
Please scroll down to view discount opportunities available to Montana schools.
Montana's School Computer Equipment Program
The program collects computer equipment from state and federal sources, and private donations to distribute at no cost to Montana's K-12 public schools. The equipment is stored in Helena and is operational, but all data (including operating systems) is removed for security purposes.
The Program Basics:
- Schools are responsible for traveling to Helena at their cost to take possession of the equipment and must have an appointment.
- Equipment cannot be reserved as there is not sufficient space in the storage facility to hold equipment
- The inventory of surplus equipment varies from day to day
- The program maintains a waiting list of schools interested in equipment and schools are contacted about their eligibility, usually via email.
- Email Scott Buswell to seek information, put your school's name on the waiting list, or to check the availability of equipment. Reservations are then made for schools wishing to visit the warehouse. Please provide the following info in your email: name, school district, school and phone number.
1450 Hiawatha Street
Normal Hours: Tuesday - Friday. 8:00am to 12:00pm
An appointment is necessary and can be set up outside of normal working hours.
Map To School Computer Equipment Warehouse
|Heading west out of Helena toward Missoula.
|Two blocks west of the Red Roof RB Café on Euclid Avenue take a right hand turn on Hiawatha Street.
|Go down 1.5 blocks and look for a light blue warehouse with dark blue trim.
Discounts for Schools
By law, tribal governments and Montana's political subdivisions may purchase supplies and services in cooperation with the State of Montana. Section 18-4-402, MCA permits local public procurement units to take advantage of the cost savings realized by the State's volume purchasing. Currently, cooperative purchasers may benefit by purchasing from the State of Montana’s Cooperative Term Contracts, the vehicle requisition time schedule, and participating in the ordering of certain commodities needed by the Montana Department of Transportation.
The State of Montana requires that interested school districts sign a Cooperative Purchasing Memorandum of Understanding prior to utilizing state contracts. This agreement must be signed by a school district official and returned via email, fax, or mail to the State Procurement Bureau. Approved school districts can purchase goods using the Montana eMarketCenter or can choose to purchase directly from the contract vendor.
Please visit the State of Montana’s Cooperative Purchasing Program website for more information about the Cooperative Purchasing Program.