The Legal Division of the Montana Office of Public Instruction (OPI) provides legal advice and services to the State Superintendent of Public Instruction and the agency generally. Other duties of the Legal Division include, but are not limited to:
- Providing legal advice and services to the State Superintendent of Public Instruction in connection with Special Education matters;
- Assisting with appeals from County Superintendent decisions;
- Representing the State Superintendent and the OPI in court proceedings;
- Providing legal services and advice in connection with teacher certification, denial, suspension, and revocation;
- Assisting with the adoption and amendment of Montana Administrative Rules; and
- Assisting in the production and advocacy of legislation.
- Processing records requests
Please note that the Legal Division cannot provide legal advice to private citizens. However, the Legal Division does house resources here on its site that may be of use to individuals seeking guidance in navigating legal issues.