Montana's School Computer Equipment Program
The Montana School Computer Program is administered by the OPI and collects computer equipment from state and federal sources, and private donations to distribute at no cost to Montana's K-12 public schools. The equipment is stored in Helena and is operational, but all data (including operating systems) is removed for security purposes.
The program basics:
- Schools are responsible for traveling to Helena to retrieve equipment and must have an appointment.
- Equipment cannot be reserved as space in the storage facility is limited.
- The inventory of surplus equipment varies from day to day
- The program maintains a waiting list of schools interested in equipment and schools are contacted about their eligibility, usually via email.
- Contact the program at email@example.com to seek information, put your school's name on the waiting list, or to check the availability of equipment. Please provide the following info in your email: name, school district, school and phone number.
In 2020 the OPI distributed 1,172 computers and 463 other pieces of IT equipment (monitors, printers, toner, etc...) to 44 Montana public schools and districts across the state. The OPI has distributed 34,561 computers and 21,678 other pieces of IT equipment since the inception of the program.
Contact firstname.lastname@example.org with questions.
Location & Hours
- 1450 Hiawatha Street, Helena, MT
- Tuesday - Friday. 8:00am to 12:00pm
An appointment is necessary and can be set up outside of normal working hours.
Directions to Surplus Computer Warehouse
- Head west from Helena towards Missoula
- Take a right on Hiawatha Street.
- 1.5 blocks and look for a light blue warehouse with dark blue trim.
Other Technology Related Discounts for MT Schools
Find info about the State of Montana's Cooperative Purchasing Program and other Technology Related Discounts on the School Discount Programs Page