The School Computer Equipment Program was authorized by the 1999 Legislature (18-6-101, MCA) and is administered by the OPI.
Montana's School Computer Equipment Program
The program collects computer equipment from state and federal sources, and private donations to distribute at no cost to Montana's K-12 public schools. The equipment is stored in Helena and is operational, but all data (including operating systems) is removed for security purposes.
The program basics:
- Schools are responsible for traveling to Helena to retrieve equipment and must have an appointment.
- Equipment cannot be reserved as space in the storage facility is limited.
- The inventory of surplus equipment varies from day to day
- The program maintains a waiting list of schools interested in equipment and schools are contacted about their eligibility, usually via email.
- Contact Scott Buswell to seek information, put your school's name on the waiting list, or to check the availability of equipment. Please provide the following info in your email: name, school district, school and phone number.
In 2019, 2,213 computers and 590 other pieces of IT equipment (monitors, printers, toner, etc...) were distributed to 48 Montana public schools and districts across the state. As of January 2020, 33,389 computers and 21,217 other pieces of IT equipment have been distributed since the inception of the program.
Grant Opportunities Available to Schools to Purchase Information Technology
The OPI publishes these grant opportunities as a courtesy, we regret we are unable to provide assistance or guidance in applying:
1450 Hiawatha Street
Normal Hours: Tuesday - Friday. 8:00am to 12:00pm
An appointment is necessary and can be set up outside of normal working hours.
Map To School Computer Equipment Warehouse
|Heading west out of Helena toward Missoula.
|Two blocks west of the AK Café on Euclid Avenue take a right hand turn on Hiawatha Street.
|Go down 1.5 blocks and look for a light blue warehouse with dark blue trim.
Discounts for Schools
Please visit the School Discount Programs Page to find out how you can save your school district time and money by participating in the State of Montana's Cooperative Purchasing Program and other vendor-offered discounts.