What is a reinforcement inventory?
The reinforcement inventory (R.I.) is used to gather up–to-date information about a student’s interests and preferred activities as well as their dislikes. The aim is to know which rewards are likely to be successful in reinforcing the student’s participation and engagement in learning.
It is a valuable tool that:
- draws on detailed information from all those involved and information from the Planning Matrix
- can be succinct or extensive depending on the needs of the student
- is updated to keep up with the students’ changing and developing interests
- is a document for all staff, not only the individual teacher
- is useful in identifying what to avoid - inadvertently using disliked reinforcers may increase a student’s anxiety or trigger challenging behaviours
Read more and download a reinforce inventory here.