I thought I would take a moment and share with you some of the important lessons I have learned raising an autistic child. You may want to tuck these away in the ole memory banks so that you can call on them when need be. Here are 30 in no particular order…
Clothes are completely optional… at least in the house.
- Socks do not always have to be worn on feet.
- Laughter IS contagious.
- So is crying.
- Not being able to talk does not mean a person is dumb.
- Every once in a while, repeat back your child’s babbling. Watch their face light up.
- Talk to your child in age appropriate language. You’ll be surprised by what they know and retain.
- Eating utensils are completely overrated… except for soup.
- Celebrate each milestone with your child like they won the Super Bowl.
- Know that if you do something a certain way just one time… you may be doing it that way every time.