Office of the Superintendent
Highlights of Activities for DecemberFriday, November 29, 2013, 9:33 am
As this year draws to a close, this month’s summary has information on important dates in December as well as things to look forward to in 2014:
- The winter enrollment count date is Dec. 2nd. Data is due by Dec. 16.
- Check your program participation counts in AIM by December 31.
- Career and Technical Education data collection deadline is December 31.
- The Assessment and Data Conference is January 15-17, in Helena.
The staff at the OPI wishes you a happy holiday season!
OPI FAQ for Testing Waiver and Field Test
The Office of Public Instruction was granted a testing waiver from the U.S. Department of Education in order to avoid double-testing of Montana students this school year and to allow schools to smoothly transition to a new statewide assessment in 2015.
OPI’s request outlines the following:
- All Montana students in grades 3-8 and grade 11 will take the full form Smarter Balanced (SBAC) field test with the exception of qualifying students with disabilities, who will take the CRT Alternate assessment.
- The current Science CRT assessment and Science CRT Alternate will continue to be given to grades 4, 8, and 10.
- AYP determinations from 2013 will roll forward for 2014.
- In the 2014-2015 school year, the new Smarter Balanced assessment as well as the state science assessment will be given to all required grades and be used to determine Annual Yearly Progress (AYP) for all schools.
The Office of Public Instruction has also prepared a Frequently Asked Questions document related to the Smarter Balanced field test. Please share this document and/or portions of this document with school staff and parents in preparation for the field test this spring. http://opi.mt.gov/PDF/Superintendent/Field_Test_FAQs.pdf
Successful College Application Week
More than 1,500 high school seniors applied to a Montana college during the week of November 11 – 15, 2013. Seventy high schools and 18 colleges participated in the event. Thank you to the GEAR UP program and to the high school and college staff who worked to make the event such a success. The goal is to take College Application Week statewide in the fall of 2014.
For more information, contact Terry Kendrick, 444-3449