Health Enhancement and Safety
Montana's Healthy School Recipe Roundup CompetitionTuesday, February 1, 2011, 10:31 am
The Montana Team Nutrition Program is hosting a recipe contest to round up great school recipes which feature USDA Commodity Food(s) and locally grown foods, when available. We invite you to share your colorful, tasty, eye-appealing and kid-friendly school recipes. This will provide a set of healthy recipes for other schools to use, support local food producers, and give students an opportunity to enjoy healthy meals made from USDA commodities and Montana food products. Every school program submitting an entry will receive a chance to win a $200.00 cash prize. Few recipes have been submitted at this point, which improves the chance of winning the cash prize!
Recipes will be accepted through March 4, 2011. The recipes will be compiled and distributed throughout the state in 2011-12.
What type of recipes qualify for the roundup?
- Recipes for entrees, side dishes or desserts.
- Recipes that include only ingredients which are commonly available for school food service and use equipment readily available in school kitchens
- Recipes will feature the following:
- At least one USDA commodity food
- At least one local food as an ingredient when in season or purchased easily from a locally grown or Montana-made vendor. (This can be as simple as butter, flour, etc.)
- Is moderate in fat, saturated fat, sugar and sodium
- Contains at least one of the following items:
- Whole grain (minimum of 1 oz. serving)
- Legume (at least 1/4 cup per serving)
- Fruit or vegetable (extra points earned for including dark green and/or orange vegetables
- Lean protein (meat or meat alternates)
Check out http://www.opi.mt.gov/Programs/SchoolPrograms/School_Nutrition/MTTeam.html#gpm1_4 for more details on how to submit a recipe.
For more information, contact Molly Stenberg, 406-994-7217