Medical Certification Requirements for Montana Commercial Driver License HoldersFriday, April 25, 2014, 10:48 am
As of May 2012, the Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration adopted new regulations requiring state driver licensing agencies to add medical certification status and the information on a driver’s medical examiner’s certificate (previously referred to as DOT card) to their Commercial Driver’s License Information System (CDLIS) record.
Drivers who apply for, or renew, a Montana CDL, and Drivers who received notification to submit the Self-Certification form, after April 30, 2012 must comply with the regulations set forth by the FMCSA. The Montana Motor Vehicle Division sends letters notifying Montana CDL holders who have not renewed or upgraded prior to January 30, 2014, with instructions on how to submit their self-certification and, if applicable, their medical examiner certificate (MEC). Drivers who do not comply with the notification requirements will have their commercial driver licenses downgraded to a base, Class D license and will no longer be legal to operate any commercial motor vehicle (school bus).
To comply with the new regulations: Drivers must determine the type of business they operate in and certify to that type of commercial operation on the driver license application or Form 21-1201 CDL Self-Certification Classification and Medical Documentation. Based on the self-certification, the driver must provide a current MEC to obtain or keep their CDL.
The self-certification categories include:
- Interstate non-excepted: You are an interstate non-excepted driver and must meet the federal MEC requirements (i.e., you are “not excepted”).
- Interstate excepted: You are an interstate excepted driver and do not have to meet the federal MEC requirements.
- Intrastate non-excepted: All Montana-only (intrastate) drivers are required to meet the MEC requirements.
A copy of the new MEC must be submitted to the Montana Motor Vehicle Division prior to the expiration date of the current certificate. This may be done by mailing or faxing a legible copy of the CDL holder’s MEC to the Montana Motor Vehicle Division, Attn: CDL Help Desk, P.O. Box 201430, Helena MT 59620-1430 or Fax to: (406) 444-1987.
Drivers must meet all requirements set forth in 20-10-103, MCA and ARM 10.64.201 in order for the district to receive state and county transportation reimbursement. All CDL holders must continue to carry their medical examiner’s certificate (formerly referred to as a DOT card).
- Districts must keep copies of the driver’s CDL, Current Medical Certification Card, First Aid Certificate, and TR-35 on file for auditing purposes.
- Random Transportation Desk Audits are selected and performed each Fiscal Year.
For more information, contact Donell Rosenthal, (406) 444-3024