Content Standards and Instruction
STEM, MCCS and Contact InformationSunday, September 29, 2013, 11:24 am
STEM: Imagine the Future at the Museum of the Rockies
Content Standards and Instruction, in partnership with the MT STEM Initiative, invites all educators and interested community members to attend the upcoming event STEM: Imagine the Future at the Museum of the Rockies on Wednesday, October 16th from 5pm – 9pm. The event focuses on the future of STEM (Science, Technology, Engineering and Mathematics) education and how it enhances college and career readiness in Montana. Vendors, presenters and exhibitors will provide information to support educators in engaging all ages of students in STEM. Participants will have the opportunity to experience hands-on activities and learn about resources they can use in a wide range of classroom environments.
Educators and community members who are interested in learning more about providing or supporting STEM Education are welcome to attend. The event is structured to allow for a flexible schedule and participants can navigate the exhibits, presentations, and vendors at their leisure from 5 pm to 8 pm. Join us from 8 pm to 9 pm for Montana STEM Ignite, a collection of five minute live presentations designed to energize participants about STEM Education.
Register for STEM: Imagine the Future here.
Apply to be a sponsor, vendor, exhibitor or presenter here.
We hope you will join us in sharing and celebrating all that STEM has to offer Montana students!
Montana Common Core Standards: Resources for Informing Parents and Community
- Alliance for Excellent Education: Common Core 101 http://all4ed.org/reports-factsheets/common-core-state-standards-101/
- Common Core Works: Public Service Announcement Video http://vimeo.com/55111808
- “Helping Parents Learn About Common Standards” EdWeek Blog http://blogs.edweek.org/teachers/teaching_ahead/2013/09/parents_as_partners_1.html
- Parent Roadmaps in English and Spanish from the Council of the Great City Schools http://www.commoncoreworks.org/domain/104
- PTA Parents’ Guides to Student Success (2 pager, printables for each grade level) http://www.pta.org/parents/content.cfm?ItemNumber=2910
What Can Parents Do To Prepare for the CCSS?
From “Spotlight on the Common Core State Standards” Education Northwest. March 2011. http://educationnorthwest.org/webfm_send/1106
• Create a study group with other parents, community members, or school staff to examine the new standards. Discuss your initial impressions or concerns about the standards, how they differ from your existing state standards, and learn how the school or district will prepare for implementation.
• Through your involvement on the site council, parent-teacher association, or other committee, ask your school administrators and teachers how they will prepare to teach to the standards and how they will measure student progress toward meeting the standards. Ask how parents and community members can provide regular feedback and support teaching and learning of the standards.
• Attend school board meetings and ask whether policies will be developed to support schools in this work.
• Talk with business and community leaders about the need for high goals and clear expectations for our children’s education.
• Talk to your children about the importance of graduating from high school ready for college and career success. Discuss how the standards will be used to guide teaching and learning from kindergarten through high school.
Contact the CSI Team
· Jael Prezeau, Director, (406) 444-3128
· Colet Bartow, Content Standards, (406) 444-3583
· Chris DeWald, Science, (406) 444-3557
· Jean Howard, Mathematics, (406) 444-0706
· Tara Steinke, Administrative/Data Assistant, (406) 444-3538
· Click HERE to visit the CSI Web page
· Click HERE to view the CSI Update Archives
For more information, contact Colet Bartow, 406-444-3583