I completed a teacher preparation program from outside the United States. What do I need to provide to apply for licensure in Montana?


The Office of Public Instruction does not determine degree, credit or program equivalencies for persons with credentials from outside the United States. Please work directly with a recognized credentials evaluation agency, have the appropriate evaluation sent to you, and include it with your application. You are welcome to submit an evaluation from any agency. However, the Office of Public Instruction will determine the acceptability of the evaluation.

The National Association of Credential Evaluation Services (NACES), is a great resource for agency options.


An acceptable evaluation must include:

1. A course-by-course analysis of each foreign transcript
2. Documentation of student teaching or supervised teaching experience

Be sure to submit all transcripts applicable to your Montana educator license to the credential evaluation agency.

The candidate is responsible for any charge associated with the foreign transcript evaluation.

Canadian students applying directly to Montana for licensure must submit a foreign credential evaluation. Canadian students whose credits have been accepted by a Montana university may waive this requirement.