The Montana OPI has installed a new Upload feature to our Montana Educator Information System (MSEIS). This feature applies to new applications and to existing applications. Watch a brief instructional video at this link: MSEIS Upload Feature
How this affects you
You are now required to upload your supplemental documents to your online application. This eliminates the need for you to either US mail or email any supplemental document into the OPI to complete your license application. All licensure applications require one or more supplemental documents to complete the application.
Applications that cannot be submitted online through MSEIS
- Adding an Endorsement to your current license
- Reinstatement of a Lapsed License
- Upgrading (e.g., Class 2 to Class 1 or Class 5 Provisional to a full license)
For all three instances, you will need to mail the application and supplemental documents to the following address:
OPI Educator Licensure
PO Box 202501
Helena, MT 59620-2501
Adding an Endorsement to your current license
Your college or university must complete a University Recommendation form verifying you have completed the requirements for the additional endorsement. You will also need to submit official transcripts or have the college/university send them directly to firstname.lastname@example.org. For additional information see the License Endorsements section of our website.
Reinstatement of a Lapsed License
If you have completed the required professional development, you can apply to reinstate your license. To apply, complete the Reinstatement Application, a new fingerprint background check (follow the 2 sets of instructions in the link), and include your original supporting documents when you mail your application. For additional information see the Lapsed License section of our website.
If you have not completed the required professional development and you have not held a Class 5 license in the past, you may qualify for the Class 5 Reinstatement. For additional information see the Lapsed License section of our website.
Upgrading your current license
Complete the correct Upgrade Application following the checklist within the application.
Upgrade from Class 2 to Class 1
Upgrade from Class 5 to Full Licensure: Class 1, Class 2, Class 3 and Class 6
For additional information see the License Upgrade section of our website.
Preparing to upload documents
- Determine which educator license application you will be submitting
- Review the documentation checklist provided for your application (see all license class application checklists below)
- Print out and complete all supplemental documents for your application and have them ready to upload*
- Log into MSEIS to submit/update your application. After you submit your application, follow the system prompts to upload your supplemental documents and to remove the license deficiencies created from your application.
*MSEIS will accept files uploaded in Portable Document Format (PDF) under 4,000 KB.