Salary and Compensation Expenditure Report
MAEFAIRS is currently available for the salary and compensation expenditure reporting. The Salary and Compensation Expenditure Report requires that all employees who received a paycheck during 2016-17 fiscal year be entered into the district's 2016-2017 TOE data. For many districts, the 2016-17 TOE did not include employees hired after the TEAMS application was closed. The missing employees can be entered into the compensation expenditure TOE screen in TEAMS. The Compensation Expenditure Report is due January 5, 2018.
For TEAMS/TOE information, contact Danielle Murphy, (406) 444-1625, email@example.com
For MAEFAIRS information, contact Mari Haefka, (406) 444-1960, firstname.lastname@example.org
For more information, contact Danielle Murphy, (406) 444-1625
Fall Student Count for ANB
The official fall count day is Monday, October 2, 2017. MAEFAIRS Student Count for ANB must be submitted no later than October 13, 2017.
The following resources are located on the OPI website:
Extenuating circumstances for students who will be gone 10 days prior to the count date, but which would support a variance should be submitted to the OPI prior to the official enrollment count date for consideration of inclusion of the student in the enrollment count for ANB purposes beyond the 10th day of absence.
- For MAEFAIRS questions, or to correct data once it has been submitted, please contact Nica Merala at (406) 444-4401 or email@example.com.
- For AIM questions, including how to correct student information in order to be included in the MAEFAIRS Student Count for ANB, please contact the AIM Helpdesk at 1-877-424-6681, or locally at (406) 444-3800 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Reporting American Indian Students
Students identified as American Indian in the AIM system at the time the data is imported into the MAEFAIRS fall count will generate funding for the Student Achievement Gap (SAG) payment in the ensuing year.
School district business managers/clerks should verify that the Students Imported From AIM In SAG Report located in the MAEFAIRS application accurately reports the number of American Indian students enrolled in the district. If the report is not correct, please contact Nica Merala at (406) 444-4401 or email@example.com to make the necessary changes.
Pursuant to ARM 10.21.205, changes to this designation will not be accepted after December 31.
For more information, contact Nica Merala, 406-444-4401
Bus Standards Revision Update with HB 355
On August 9, 2017 the bus standards workgroup met to discuss the revision of the Montana School Bus Standards in order to implement the changes included in HB 355 of the 2017 Legislative Session. When completed, the bus standards will include a new type of school bus which will be considered as a Type E.
This new vehicle Type E must be 10 or fewer passengers including the driver, may be used for the transportation of students to and from school, and will allow school districts to receive state and county transportation reimbursement at $0.50 per mile. The effective date is scheduled for July 1, 2018.
The first draft revisions are made and expected to be submitted to the Board of Public Education sometime in November 2017. Once these standards are approved by the workgroup and ready to be presented to the Board of Public Education, the OPI will post the proposed revision on the OPI Pupil Transportation website for review.
For questions or concerns regarding the proposed standards, you may contact Kara Sperle at (406) 444-3249 or email KSperle2@mt.gov or Donell Rosenthal at (406) 444-3024 or email firstname.lastname@example.org .
For more information, contact Donell Rosenthal, 406-444-3024
Individual Contracts (TR-4)
By October 1, the county superintendent must electronically acknowledge receipt of all individual transportation contracts and electronically authorize individual transportation contracts for which the County Transportation Committee (CTC) has approved increased payments due to isolation.
For more information, contact Donell Rosenthal, 406-444-3024
Changes to the FY 17 Trustees Financial Summary
If you find a material coding error on your FY 17 Trustees Financial Summary (TFS), please submit a revision to Mari Haefka or Nicole Thuotte in the School Finance Division. As provided in ARM 10.10.504(6), changes to the FY 17 TFS are limited to:
- Coding revisions between revenue and expenditure line items, provided no change occurs in the fund balance of the budgeted funds; or
- Revisions in the balance sheet accounts, provided no change occurs in the fund balance of the budgeted funds.
The Office of Public Instruction cannot process TFS changes that affect the fund balance in budgeted funds because fund balance is carried forward to the FY 18 budget, and a change in fund balance may impact the number of mills already levied in the fund.
Revisions should be submitted as follows:
- Photocopy the original page of the TFS, with amounts to be revised crossed out and the correct amount written in.
- When sending balance sheet revisions, please send any expenditure and revenue line item changes that correlate with the revisions. The fund balance on the balance sheet should equal the ending fund balance shown on the Statement of Changes in District Fund Balance report after the revisions are made.
- Change any sub-totals and totals that will be affected.
- Sign any sheets that contain a revision.
- Scan and email revisions to email@example.com, fax revsions to (406) 444-0509, or mail revisions to School Finance at PO Box 202501, Helena, MT, 59620-2501.
The deadline for submitting revisions is December 10. However, December 10 falls on a Sunday, so revisions will be accepted through Monday, December 11.
Immaterial line item coding changes that affect fund balance in the budgeted funds for FY 17 must be reported as a prior period adjustment on the TFS for FY 18. The district may need to adopt a budget amendment for the current year to record a prior period expenditure adjustment in a budgeted fund.
For more information, contact Mari Haefka, (406) 444-1960