School Nutrition Programs School Closure Survey
Please confirm your School Nutrition Programs plan for May 7 until the end of the school year.
School Nutrition Programs
Schools participating in OPI School Nutrition Programs have options for feeding
students during unanticipated school closures and when re-opening.
Schools are not required to provide meal service during school closures.
Schools should contact your Regional Specialist directly for school nutrition questions and concerns.
Schools may consider the following program(s) for the various circumstances.
Schools Remain Closed (Participate in either SFSP or NSLP but not both)
- Summer Food Service Program (SFSP) - all children 18 and under can eat for free. Must sign up with OPI.
- National School Lunch Program (NSLP) and School Breakfast Program (SBP) - must provide distance learning, grab and go meals are allowed, and must claim and will be reimbursed for meals based on eligibility status of individual students.
Schools Re-open (Transition back to NSLP if SFSP was utilized during the school closure)
- Transition back to the NSLP and SBP - grab and go meals are allowed, must claim and will be reimbursed for meals based on eligibility status of individual students.
Mixed Delivery Model (Operate NSLP for students onsite and SFSP for distance learning students)
- If the building is open, operate the NSLP and SBP for students attending school onsite - must claim and will be reimbursed for meals based on eligibility status of individual students. School can operate the SFSP for distance learning students in a non-congregate delivery method - all children 18 and under can eat for free.
- If a school chooses to operate NSLP and SFSP at the same time, they will need to follow the appropriate meal pattern and keep separate production records and claims documentation for each program they opt to participate.