How to Collect Opt In Information and Upload Photos
The 2019 Montana Legislature passed Senate Bill 40 requiring the OPI to create and maintain an electronic directory photo repository of Montana students for the exclusive purpose of assisting law enforcement in locating missing school-age children. Parents and guardians must "opt-in" to have their child's photo included in the repository. The photo will typically be the "school picture" that most schools take annually for school directories, ID cards, year books, etc. Other photos may be used at the discretion of the parent/guardian and district.
Collecting Opt In Information From Parents and Guardians:
It is suggested that districts gather the student photo Opt In information from the students’ parent/guardian via the enrollment registration form/process. The district should also keep a record if/when a parent/guardian has made a change in the status (from Opt In to Opt Out, etc.)
If the student moves into a new district and the choice of the photo Opt In value is not gained from the parent, the new district can learn of the status of the Opt In field at the state level by contacting the OPI AIM staff. This will help them carry over the last intended value of the Opt In field. If the new district sets it to blank/unknown, the nightly checking process will not change the field value at the state if the state AIM system currently has a value of ‘Opt In’ or ‘Opt Out’.
OPI AIM staff are not able to change the value of the Opt In field at the state level. The value of this field is only editable by districts. Parents and guardians who contact the OPI regarding their child's photo will be directed to their child's district AIM contact person that we have on record to resolve any issues.
Information Schools and Districts Should Provide to Parents and Guardians When Obtaining their Consent to Opt In:
- What is the electronic photo repository? When a student is identified as a missing child, the Montana Department of Justice will provide your child’s school directory photograph (if available) to the appropriate law enforcement authority.
- How do I include my child's photograph in the photo repository? Most schools will use the directory photo of a child and obtain parent/guardian consent during the enrollment/beginning of school processes, however photos can be added at any time upon request by a parent/guardian to their school. Only photos of students whose parent/guardians have opted-in to the repository will be available to law enforcement.
- How do I remove my child’s photograph from the photo repository? A parent can opt-out at any time. Contact your school or district to request your child’s photograph be removed. Photos are automatically removed after two years
Photo Import Wizard and Uploading Photos to the AIM State Edition:
A nightly process in the AIM state edition will import photos from the district level of Infinite Campus for those photos that have the Opt In field set to ‘Opt In’. This process will also remove photos in the state AIM system that are either older than two years or have the Opt In field set to ‘Opt Out’
Districts that use Infinite Campus as their local student information system (District edition) currently have a photo import wizard available to them. Districts that do not use Infinite Campus as their local student system (Montana Edition) will have an import wizard available to them inside their Montana Edition of Infinite Campus to import their student photos. The only type of file format the photo import wizard accepts is JPG. Districts will also be able to import an individual student photo using the upload picture link located in Census-> People-> Demographics. The types of files that an individual photo can be imported as is JPG, GIF, BMP, DIB, TIFF and TIF.
Missing Child Photo Opt In Field Functionality Within Infinite Campus:
In early 2020, there will be a field in the District Edition Infinite Campus system called ‘Missing Child Photo Opt In’ (Opt In). There are three possible values for this field. They are ‘Opt In’, ‘Opt Out’ and zero or blank (Unknown). Only those students with a field value of ‘Opt In’ or set to blank/unknown but previously set to ‘Opt in’ will be available at the state.
The Opt In field is located on the student summary tab under the student photo. The Opt In value is associated with the students’ demographic record, not with an enrollment record, and therefore will not change as the enrollment changes (such as if the student moves to a new school or district), but will stay static until changed in the demographic record.
For the Montana Edition Infinite Campus, this new Opt In field is included in the demographics upload template. The values that can be recorded for this Opt In field in the demographics upload template are:
1 = Opt In
2 = Opt Out
0 or Blank = Unknown
For Montana Edition, the functionality for each value of the Opt In field during the upload process is:
- If the upload value of the field is 1 (‘Opt In’), the photo will be copied to the state.
- If the upload value is 2 (‘Opt Out’), the photo will not be copied to the state.
- If the photo is already at the state and the upload value is 2 (‘Opt Out’), the photo will be removed at the state.
- If the upload value is 0 or blank (Unknown), the photo will not be copied to the state.
- If the photo is already at the state and the upload value is 0 or blank (Unknown), the photo will remain at the state.
- If the upload value is 0, it will only change the value at the state if the current Opt In value at the state is blank
A nightly process at the state AIM system will import photos from the district level of Infinite Campus for only those photos that have the Opt In field value set to ‘Opt In’. This process will also look for those photos that are either older than two years or have the Opt In field set to ‘Opt Out’ and remove them from the state AIM system.