- Do American Indians pay taxes? [Article]
Yes, both tribes and individual American Indians pay taxes. Individual American Indians pay federal incometaxes and other taxes such as fuel and tobacco taxes. American Indians who work on a reservati...
- What does the term “Federally Recognized Tribe” mean? [Article]
“Federal Recognition” is a legal term meaning that the United States recognizes a government-to-governmentrelationship with a tribe and that a tribe exists politically as a “domestic...
- What is the relationship between tribes and the states? [Article]
Given that the United States and tribes have a sovereign government to sovereign government relationship, States do not have any power over tribes within their territories, and vice-versa. The
- When is American Indian Heritage Day? [Article]
In 1997, the Montana Legislature passed into law MCA 20-1-306, designating the fourth Friday in September as American Indian Heritage Day. Under this law, schools are to conduct app
- Guide to Updating your Universal Application [Article]
We have created a guide to updating your Montana Universal Application for Education employment:
- Viewing Applications [Article]
The collection of online applications is available only to Montana School Districts. It is a secure site and requires individual district logins. If you are a representative of a Monta
- Qualifications for school nurse [Article]
The National Board for Certification of School Nurses issues certifications for school nurses. This is a credential that identifies leadership and advanced knowledge in the field of school nur
- What is GEMS? [Article]
Where can I find information about GEMS?
GEMS (Growth and Enhancement of Montana Students is Montana’s statewide longitudinal education data center.
- Teacher retirement [Article]
The Montana Teacher Retirement System is not adminstered by the Office of Public Instruction. Information about teacher's retirement is at the Teacher's Retirement System.
- How is the Montana Teacher Retirement System structured? [Article]
- How is the cost of pupil transportation funded in Montana what costs can be paid... [Article]
Q: How is the cost of pupil transportation funded in Montana?
A: The state and county share "on-schedule costs" to provide funding for parent mileage contracts and a mileage reimbursement fo
- Bus Depreciation Fund [Article]
If your school owns a school bus or bus used to transport kids for athletics or activities, you should be familiar with the Bus Depreciation Fund.
Q: What is
- What test does Montana require for educator licensure? [Article]
Testing is not required for "LICENSURE" in Montana. However, you may be required to complete testing as part of your college program before they can recommend you for Montana licensure. Ple
- Infotrac database [Article]
Do we still have a subscription to Infotrac? I tried to log in this morning, but it failed.
The State of Montana has had a contract with Infotrac, for the past 10 years. Th
- State Library Directory - Instructions [Article]
My high school students are doing a research paper. I would like them to be able to use the resources at MSL. How do we access them? I have a password for something called Edit Path and a library
- How long is the TELL license good for? [Article]
TELL permits are valid for one year. Your teen can apply for another one year learner license if you feel additional supervised practice is needed. Practice helps teens develop safe driv
- How to Subscribe to our Newsletters [Article]
How to Sign up for an OPI Email Distribution List
1. On the left side of the OPI Home Page, click on "Subscribe to Our Newsletters"
- Get a Domain name for your School [Article]
Looking for a domain name for your Montana school district (MySchool.k12.mt.us)?
- Attendance Centers [Article]
Q: What is an attendance center? A: An attendance center is a location where students regularly attend school at a location other than the regular school building. The atte
- Listing of School Web sites [Article]
Many schools have posted their web addresses on our website at: http://www.metnet.mt.gov/schoolweb/ The Montana League of Cities has a page on their site with a list of links to those Monta