- annexation - teacher tenure [Article]
Are any rights that tenured teachers have in a school that is closing to be included in a school they are annexing to? Can tenured teachers from the closing school have first chance for
- How to change school district boundary lines [Article]
Can you tell me how to initiate the process of changing a school district boundary line? The procedure for transferring territory from one district to another is contained in
- Why do we need a standardized set of course codes? [Article]
Why do we need a standardized set of course codes?
As Montana builds its statewide longitudinal data system for P‐20 educa
- What should school districts do to prepare to report position codes? [Article]
What should school districts do to prepare to report position codes?
- Why are position codes required for employees? [Article]
Why are position codes required for employees?
Position codes are needed to identify the
- Hours in a school day/year [Article]
How can I find out how much time is needed for a "unit" of time. Explain 2-01-301 MCA and what is required for aggregate hours for the year? Our school day is almost as long
- immunization exemptions [Article]
What are provisions for exceptions to immunizations?
Montana law states that school officials may not allow a student to attend school unless the st
- Trustees and gifts [Article]
When serving on the local school board the district administration gave school board members passes to all sporting events. It was accompanied with a letter of appreciation thanking scho
- Can a non-citizen be certified? [Article]
Can a non-citizen be certified as an educator in Montana?
Yes, if he or she qualifies and meets the educational requirements for licensure. The qualifications for licensure are stated i
- Educator's Code of Ethics [Article]
How do I find the Professional Educators of Montana Code of Ethics?
The Code of Ethics is published by the Board of Public Education.
To find a copy, logon to our website at:&nb
- School responsibility for students [Article]
When does the school accept responsibility for students? When they leave home or when they get to school? Is it the law? Montana law provides that a student is subject to the
- Removal of School Board Chairman [Article]
What is the procedure for removing a school board chairman?
Removing an elected official from office is not an easy undertaking. This answer is not
- Can a Montana school district be sued in negligence for educational malpractice?... [Article]
In response to the first part of your question -- yes, a school district can be sued. The Montana Constitution provides that "the state, counties, cities, towns, and all other local gove
- Legal Responsibility of a teacher on a playground [Article]
If a school board was to allow contact sports at recess, what are the legal responsibilities of teachers? As a general rule, teachers supervise students, provide proper instru
- How can school districts combine or merge? [Article]
There are two ways that school districts can merge: school district annexation (MCA 20-6-422) and school district consolidation (MCA 20-6-423).
- Religion in the Classroom [Article]
I would like to know what is the criteria that determines whether or not a teacher is crossing over the line of religion in the classroom?
It is not
- Please define tenure for teachers. Is a teacher with tenure still reviewed? How ... [Article]
Montana law (Mont. Code Ann. §20-4-203) defines teacher tenure as "whenever a teacher has been elected by the offer and acceptance of a contract for the fourth consecutive year of e
- How should a student working at home, through an on-line academic program, be re... [Article]
It depends on the situation: Distance Learning: If the student is enrolled in a program or course at district expense using electronic or offsite delivery methods, including distance learning progra...
- Please send me information about how to home school in Montana. [Article]
The Office of Public Instruction receives dozens of calls each year from people with questions about private/nonpublic schooling. Many request OPI provide a summary of Montana law pertaining to home
- Administrator Housing Allowance [Article]
Question: Can the district rent a dwelling for an administrator in order to be in close proximity to the school campus? If so, is the rental amount to be included in