- How to document the agreement between parent and district regarding reevaluation [Article]
How does the district document the agreement between it and the parent that a reevaluation is unnecessary?
The district may document the agreement on the Review of Existing E
- Must the student be reevaluated once every three years? [Article]
Must the student be reevaluated once every three years?
The IDEA 2004 states that a reevaluation is necessary every three years, unless the parent and district agree that a reev
- Is there a timeline for the initial evaluation of a student? [Article]
Is there a timeline for the initial evaluation of a student?
The Child Study Team (CST) must determine if the student is a child with a disability within 60 calendar days of receiving
- Are there additional requirements when school districts use Part B funds for ear... [Article]
Are there additional requirements when school districts use Part B funds for early intervening services? Yes. Each school district that develops and maintains a system of early int
- Early Intervening Services vs. Response to Intervention (RtI) [Article]
How is early intervening different from the Response to Intervention (RtI) process? The term “Early Intervening Services” refers to a broad application of support servi
- What are early intervening services? [Article]
The IDEA 2004 allows a school district to use up to 15 percent of its Part B funds to provide support to students who have not been identified as eligible for special education services. These
- Conditions for non-identification of special ed student by district - IDEA 2004 [Article]
What are the two additional conditions under which a school district would not be deemed to have knowledge that a student is a student with disabilities?
1) The parent has not
- Discipline- timeline for expedited due process hearings [Article]
Has the timeline for an expedited due process hearing changed?
The expedited hearing must take place within 20 school days of the hearing request and a determination shall be issued w
- Discipline - new special circumstance for the 45 school day removal [Article]
What new special circumstance for the 45 school day removal has been added? A school is permitted to remove a child to an interim alternative educational setting for 45 school days
- Student searches/teacher liability [Article]
As a band and choir director I take many trips with students. I would like to know MY legal rights when it comes to searching bags etc. of students I suspect of having drugs, alcohol or
- Observing child's class [Article]
I am interested in observing in my daughter's science class periodically. Is there ever a reason a parent would be denied this opportunity?? I would not speak or assist or interrupt--simply there to...
- closed board meeting [Article]
Who can attend a closed board meeting involving the hiring/firing of a staff member? If the board chairman closed the meeting, then he or she must have determined that the sta
- immunization exemptions [Article]
What are provisions for exceptions to immunizations?
Montana law states that school officials may not allow a student to attend school unless the st
- Discipline - What is “serious bodily injury”? [Article]
What is “serious bodily injury”?
Serious bodily injury means bodily injury which involves a substantial risk of death; extreme
physical pain; protracted an
- Deadline for signing teacher contract [Article]
What is the dead-line for signing your teaching contract for the next school year? After signing a contract for the next year, do you have a certain amount of time to back out of the contract before...
- Trustees and gifts [Article]
When serving on the local school board the district administration gave school board members passes to all sporting events. It was accompanied with a letter of appreciation thanking scho
- Discpline- What new special circumstance for the 45 school day removal has been ... [Article]
What new special circumstance for the 45 school day removal has been added?
A school is permitted to remove a child to an interim alternative educational setting for 45 school day
- Open admission [Article]
What is open admission? Is it the law? How do I know which schools have open admission? Must the school district have a policy in their policy manual stating that they have open admissio
- Student suspension and expulsion [Article]
Unless a student is a special education student, it appears that there is no clear rule or regulation that sets a maximum number of days allowed for a student suspension. When does an ex
- Breach of contract [Article]
I heard that there is a law that states if I have signed a contract to teach for the following year, I have until July 1st to resign from that contract. Is that true? Would there be any penalties fo...