- Conditions for non-identification of special ed student by district - IDEA 2004 [Article]
What are the two additional conditions under which a school district would not be deemed to have knowledge that a student is a student with disabilities?
1) The parent has not
- Discipline- timeline for expedited due process hearings [Article]
Has the timeline for an expedited due process hearing changed?
The expedited hearing must take place within 20 school days of the hearing request and a determination shall be issued w
- Discipline - new special circumstance for the 45 school day removal [Article]
What new special circumstance for the 45 school day removal has been added? A school is permitted to remove a child to an interim alternative educational setting for 45 school days
- Student searches/teacher liability [Article]
As a band and choir director I take many trips with students. I would like to know MY legal rights when it comes to searching bags etc. of students I suspect of having drugs, alcohol or
- Observing child's class [Article]
I am interested in observing in my daughter's science class periodically. Is there ever a reason a parent would be denied this opportunity?? I would not speak or assist or interrupt--simply there to...
- closed board meeting [Article]
Who can attend a closed board meeting involving the hiring/firing of a staff member? If the board chairman closed the meeting, then he or she must have determined that the sta
- immunization exemptions [Article]
What are provisions for exceptions to immunizations?
Montana law states that school officials may not allow a student to attend school unless the st
- Discipline - What is “serious bodily injury”? [Article]
What is “serious bodily injury”?
Serious bodily injury means bodily injury which involves a substantial risk of death; extreme
physical pain; protracted an
- Deadline for signing teacher contract [Article]
What is the dead-line for signing your teaching contract for the next school year? After signing a contract for the next year, do you have a certain amount of time to back out of the contract before...
- Trustees and gifts [Article]
When serving on the local school board the district administration gave school board members passes to all sporting events. It was accompanied with a letter of appreciation thanking scho
- Discpline- What new special circumstance for the 45 school day removal has been ... [Article]
What new special circumstance for the 45 school day removal has been added?
A school is permitted to remove a child to an interim alternative educational setting for 45 school day
- Open admission [Article]
What is open admission? Is it the law? How do I know which schools have open admission? Must the school district have a policy in their policy manual stating that they have open admissio
- Student suspension and expulsion [Article]
Unless a student is a special education student, it appears that there is no clear rule or regulation that sets a maximum number of days allowed for a student suspension. When does an ex
- Breach of contract [Article]
I heard that there is a law that states if I have signed a contract to teach for the following year, I have until July 1st to resign from that contract. Is that true? Would there be any penalties fo...
- School drop out age [Article]
At what age can a student drop out of school in Montana? Section 20-5-103 of the Montana statutes provides that a student has to attend school until the later of the following
- How do I report the district’s use of the SRSA grant? [Article]
How do I report the district’s use of the SRSA grant? The most recent information from the U.S. Department of Education states that the report process for the SRSA program for district
- Will I receive my SRSA grant award from the OPI? [Article]
Will I receive my SRSA grant award from the OPI? No. The SRS grant program remains between the local district and the U.S. Department of Education. The district applies to the U.S. Departmen
- What are the flexibility provisions of the SRS program? [Article]
What are the flexibility provisions of the SRS program? SRSA eligible district can REAP-Flex up to 100 percent of the use of funds from one federal program to another with one exception
- Why don't we qualify for RLI? [Article]
Our District has a very high percentage of students who qualify for the free and reduced lunch program. Why doesn’t the district qualify for the Rural and Low-Income program? &ldq
- What are the provisions of the RLIS program? [Article]
What are the provisions of the RLIS program? The Rural and Low-Income School (RLIS) component of REAP provides districts with funding allocated through the OPI the same as ot