- Deadline for signing teacher contract [Article]
What is the dead-line for signing your teaching contract for the next school year? After signing a contract for the next year, do you have a certain amount of time to back out of the contract before...
- Trustees and gifts [Article]
When serving on the local school board the district administration gave school board members passes to all sporting events. It was accompanied with a letter of appreciation thanking scho
- Discpline- What new special circumstance for the 45 school day removal has been ... [Article]
What new special circumstance for the 45 school day removal has been added?
A school is permitted to remove a child to an interim alternative educational setting for 45 school day
- Open admission [Article]
What is open admission? Is it the law? How do I know which schools have open admission? Must the school district have a policy in their policy manual stating that they have open admissio
- Student suspension and expulsion [Article]
Unless a student is a special education student, it appears that there is no clear rule or regulation that sets a maximum number of days allowed for a student suspension. When does an ex
- Breach of contract [Article]
I heard that there is a law that states if I have signed a contract to teach for the following year, I have until July 1st to resign from that contract. Is that true? Would there be any penalties fo...
- School drop out age [Article]
At what age can a student drop out of school in Montana? Section 20-5-103 of the Montana statutes provides that a student has to attend school until the later of the following
- How do I report the districtís use of the SRSA grant? [Article]
How do I report the district’s use of the SRSA grant? The most recent information from the U.S. Department of Education states that the report process for the SRSA program for district
- Will I receive my SRSA grant award from the OPI? [Article]
Will I receive my SRSA grant award from the OPI? No. The SRS grant program remains between the local district and the U.S. Department of Education. The district applies to the U.S. Departmen
- What are the flexibility provisions of the SRS program? [Article]
What are the flexibility provisions of the SRS program? SRSA eligible district can REAP-Flex up to 100 percent of the use of funds from one federal program to another with one exception
- Why don't we qualify for RLI? [Article]
Our District has a very high percentage of students who qualify for the free and reduced lunch program. Why doesn’t the district qualify for the Rural and Low-Income program? &ldq
- What are the provisions of the RLIS program? [Article]
What are the provisions of the RLIS program? The Rural and Low-Income School (RLIS) component of REAP provides districts with funding allocated through the OPI the same as ot
- How is eligibility determined for ESEA Title VI programs? [Article]
How is eligibility determined for ESEA Title VI programs? 1. To be eligible for the SRSA program, districts must have: • an average daily attendance of 600 students or less and • b
- For what purposes can I use my SRS grant? [Article]
For what purposes can I use my SRS grant? SRSA grant funds are to be aligned to one or more of the other Title programs i.e. ESEA Title I, Part A; ESEA Title II, Part A or Part D; ESEA Title
- Special education records [Article]
How long do you keep a student's IEP after they have graduated and left the school? Is there a release form or something that must be signed before you may destroy the records?
All of the inform...
- What is the purpose of ESEA Title VI? [Article]
What is the purpose of ESEA Title VI? ESEA Title VI provides federal funding flexibility to help school raise student achievement. Part A of ESEA Title VI provides general transfe
- How do I determine the ESEA Title VI program component my district is eligible f... [Article]
...nent my district is eligible for?
Go to the Small, Rural School Achievement Program page on the US Department of education website at h
- Title IV, Part B, subpart 2 - Small, Rural School Achievement (SRSA) grants [Article]
The rural schools grants require the school district to request and receive cash for the grant from the Federal government using the e-payments (AKA "GAPS) system. [NOTE: Small Rural Schools funding u...
- Duplicate licenses [Article]
How do I get a copy of my teaching/administrative/specialist license? You may obtain a duplicate license by logging on to the Educator Licensure web page at www.opi.mt.gov/cert. On the left
- How long is my Montana background check valid? [Article]
How long is my Montana background check valid? The fingerprint background check is valid for licensure for a period of two years, based upon the processing date on the report. The date of re