- Who is responsible for assuring compliance with the Montana Accreditation Standa... [Article]
In Montana, the trustees of each school district are ultimately responsible for every aspect of the school district. Our Constitution establishes this model of strong local control in Ar
- Can a Montana school district be sued in negligence for educational malpractice?... [Article]
In response to the first part of your question -- yes, a school district can be sued. The Montana Constitution provides that "the state, counties, cities, towns, and all other local gove
- Can schools charge fees for band class? [Article]
The school my son is attending has band NOT AS A CHOICE, but as part of their curriculum. Meaning every 5th and 6th grader has to take this class. The problem I have with this is that th
- Student threatening another student [Article]
What rights does a parent have when his son is threatened at school, by another student. The other student said, "When I bring a gun to school your the first one I'm going to get." The p
- Legal Responsibility of a teacher on a playground [Article]
If a school board was to allow contact sports at recess, what are the legal responsibilities of teachers? As a general rule, teachers supervise students, provide proper instru
- Excessive excused absenses [Article]
...ces in a school policy? Some parents will call the school to excuse a child 20 to 30 times a year! School policies are establ
- How can school districts combine or merge? [Article]
There are two ways that school districts can merge: school district annexation (MCA 20-6-422) and school district consolidation (MCA 20-6-423).
- Can Trustees tell a teacher how to teach? [Article]
Is it legal for a school board to tell its teachers HOW to teach if, up to this point, there has been no formal complaint about how the teachers were teaching? Your question d
- School Board member speaking out [Article]
Can a School Board member speak about a specific individual without them being present at a public meeting in regard to a position and adding something negative about that person?
- Religion in the Classroom [Article]
I would like to know what is the criteria that determines whether or not a teacher is crossing over the line of religion in the classroom?
It is not
- Librarian need and teacher contracts [Article]
Question #1:Does a K-12 school that has less than 100 students need a full-time librarian?
Question #2: By what date does a school board have to notify a teacher if he/she is going to be RIFed?
- School board meetings [Article]
If we feel that there are issues about how our school board meetings are being ran is there something we as a community and parents can do? **Example have someone take notes,or can we le
- Parent's right to placement of a child [Article]
Does a parent have the right to choose the placement of their child? We disagreed with placing our child in pre-second grade for the current school year for many reason's. We were told b
- I am interested in teaching in Indian Education. How do I find information on ap... [Article]
...d then click on the school jobs and employment. The jobs in Indian Education or that are in Indian Schools aren't separated by categor
- What is Indian Education for All? [Article]
Documentation related to Indian Education for All can be found at the OPI website at: http://www.opi.mt.gov/Programs/IndianEd/Index.html
- Where can I find information on the Internet to help me with resources and curri... [Article]
There are several websites available online that may provide the answers you are looking for. A good place to start is do a search on Google. Go to http://www.google.com and type in the name of the tr...
- Please define tenure for teachers. Is a teacher with tenure still reviewed? How ... [Article]
Montana law (Mont. Code Ann. §20-4-203) defines teacher tenure as "whenever a teacher has been elected by the offer and acceptance of a contract for the fourth consecutive year of e
- How do I register as an online school provider? What are the laws and rules? [Article]
In accordance with ARM 10.55.907 Distance, Online, and Technology Delivered Learning (1) This rule establishes requirements for distance, online, and technology delivered learning progra
- What are the legal parameters for classroom instruction utilizing paraprofessio... [Article]
The administrative rule adopted by the Board of Public Education in relation to Instructional Aides/Paras is set forth below. A school district may also have policies that deal with this
- What is required for grades k-12 in montana; subjects activities? [Article]
The following is from the Montana Accreditation Standards, Chapter 55-11 thru 55-13: Academic Requirements Basic academic requirements form a solid foundation for each school’s educat