- Teacher pay in Montana [Article]
What is the average pay for a teacher in the state of Montana?
Salaries in Montana are determined by collective bargaining agreements in 200+ local school district and staff bargaining
- Using the General Fund Operating Reserve: [Article]
Under what conditions can a district use money from their General Fund Operating Reserves?
Operating reserves provide limited
- Transfer Between Funds [Article]
What are the general requirements for transferring cash and/or budget authority between funds? Question: What cash and budget transfers are specifically allowed under sc
- How to change school district boundary lines [Article]
Can you tell me how to initiate the process of changing a school district boundary line? The procedure for transferring territory from one district to another is contained in
- annexation - teacher tenure [Article]
Are any rights that tenured teachers have in a school that is closing to be included in a school they are annexing to? Can tenured teachers from the closing school have first chance for
- School responsibility for students [Article]
When does the school accept responsibility for students? When they leave home or when they get to school? Is it the law? Montana law provides that a student is subject to the
- Removal of School Board Chairman [Article]
What is the procedure for removing a school board chairman?
Removing an elected official from office is not an easy undertaking. This answer is not
- Laws protecting children and staff from other children [Article]
What are the laws protecting children, monitors and teachers from other students who bite, spit, hit, and cause physical harm? Students are subject to the requirements of 20-5
- Who is responsible for assuring compliance with the Montana Accreditation Standa... [Article]
In Montana, the trustees of each school district are ultimately responsible for every aspect of the school district. Our Constitution establishes this model of strong local control in Ar
- Can a Montana school district be sued in negligence for educational malpractice?... [Article]
In response to the first part of your question -- yes, a school district can be sued. The Montana Constitution provides that "the state, counties, cities, towns, and all other local gove
- Can schools charge fees for band class? [Article]
The school my son is attending has band NOT AS A CHOICE, but as part of their curriculum. Meaning every 5th and 6th grader has to take this class. The problem I have with this is that th
- Student threatening another student [Article]
What rights does a parent have when his son is threatened at school, by another student. The other student said, "When I bring a gun to school your the first one I'm going to get." The p
- Legal Responsibility of a teacher on a playground [Article]
If a school board was to allow contact sports at recess, what are the legal responsibilities of teachers? As a general rule, teachers supervise students, provide proper instru
- Excessive excused absenses [Article]
...ces in a school policy? Some parents will call the school to excuse a child 20 to 30 times a year! School policies are establ
- How can school districts combine or merge? [Article]
There are two ways that school districts can merge: school district annexation (MCA 20-6-422) and school district consolidation (MCA 20-6-423).
- Can Trustees tell a teacher how to teach? [Article]
Is it legal for a school board to tell its teachers HOW to teach if, up to this point, there has been no formal complaint about how the teachers were teaching? Your question d
- School Board member speaking out [Article]
Can a School Board member speak about a specific individual without them being present at a public meeting in regard to a position and adding something negative about that person?
- Religion in the Classroom [Article]
I would like to know what is the criteria that determines whether or not a teacher is crossing over the line of religion in the classroom?
It is not
- Librarian need and teacher contracts [Article]
Question #1:Does a K-12 school that has less than 100 students need a full-time librarian?
Question #2: By what date does a school board have to notify a teacher if he/she is going to be RIFed?
- School board meetings [Article]
If we feel that there are issues about how our school board meetings are being ran is there something we as a community and parents can do? **Example have someone take notes,or can we le