- What are the sanctions for schools that use Title I money? [Article]
Schools using Title I money that fail to meet the federal standard for two consecutive years must offer all students the choice to transfer to another public school in the district. Schools that fai
- How are students measured by the NCLB Act? [Article]
Schools are required to meet 41 benchmarks for student achievement under No Child Left Behind. A school’s adequate yearly progress is calculated based on test participation, academic achieveme
- Can a school use excess reserves to pay for a base increase on teacher salary pe... [Article]
Yes, pursuant to MCA, 20-9-161(5)(a), excess reserves could be used to pay for a base increase on teacher’s salary. However, it is a one-time funding source, so we would questio
- Do American Indians pay taxes? [Article]
Yes, both tribes and individual American Indians pay taxes. Individual American Indians pay federal incometaxes and other taxes such as fuel and tobacco taxes. American Indians who work on a reservati...
- When is American Indian Heritage Day? [Article]
In 1997, the Montana Legislature passed into law MCA 20-1-306, designating the fourth Friday in September as American Indian Heritage Day. Under this law, schools are to conduct app
- Viewing Applications [Article]
The collection of online applications is available only to Montana School Districts. It is a secure site and requires individual district logins. If you are a representative of a Monta
- Washing Apples or Pears [Article]
I was wondering, I am told NOT to wash apples or pears in our school kitchen as it takes off the "shine". Is it common practice to not wash the fruit for the children? Thank you for yo
- Qualifications for school nurse [Article]
The National Board for Certification of School Nurses issues certifications for school nurses. This is a credential that identifies leadership and advanced knowledge in the field of school nur
- Teacher's rights at school board meeting [Article]
What are my legal rights if a board member physically came at me during a school board meeting? I am a teacher at the school.
Answer: As a teacher, you can conta
- What is GEMS? [Article]
Where can I find information about GEMS?
GEMS (Growth and Enhancement of Montana Students is Montana’s statewide longitudinal education data center.
- How is the cost of pupil transportation funded in Montana what costs can be paid... [Article]
Q: How is the cost of pupil transportation funded in Montana?
A: The state and county share "on-schedule costs" to provide funding for parent mileage contracts and a mileage reimbursement fo
- Bus Depreciation Fund [Article]
If your school owns a school bus or bus used to transport kids for athletics or activities, you should be familiar with the Bus Depreciation Fund.
Q: What is
- Busing-3 Mile Rule [Article]
Question: What are the guidelines of the "3 Mile Rule"? Answer:
MCA 20-10-101(2)(c)(i) states “resides
- Bus Drivers First-Aid [Article]
Q: Are bus drivers required to have CPR training?
A: No, state law does not require CPR training to be certified for driving a school bus. BUT, it's a very good idea
- Scanning paper student records [Article]
We are a school district with a lot of student records that we are required to keep permanently. Can we scan the paper copies and then destroy the paper copies?
Per Administrative Rule
- Preschool Teacher Qualifications - Head Start [Article]
What are the current requirements for Head Start teacher qualifications?
Each Head Start classroom in center-based programs must have a teacher w
- Student Loan Forgiveness Programs - List of Low Income Schools [Article]
I am a first year teacher and I just read about Student Loan Forgiveness Programs. Can you tell me more about the program? Quality Educator Loan Forgiveness Program L
- How old do I have to be to get a GED? [Article]
How old must I be to get my GED? You must be 16 years, or older AND not enrolled in school.
- Verify GED completion [Article]
Whom do I contact to verify if a person has been awarded a GED?
The GED staff at OPI can help you. Please contact: Carol Flynn, ABE Specialist Phone:
- Free and Reduced Lunch counts [Article]
Where do I find data and information about the numbers of schools that qualify for free and reduced lunches?
We post free and reduced lunch counts on our OPI webpage, from the “O