Get Answers!

Bank Loans Permissible?


Are school districts required to borrow funds only from the Board of Investments rather than from a bank?


No.  Trustees are authorized to pledge revenue from building reserve fund levies for up to 5 years persuant to 20-9-503, MCA.  This statute does not state the loans can only be obtained from the Board of Investments.  The Municipal Finance Consolidation Act, 17-5-1601, et. seq., MCA., was enacted by the legislature in 1983 and provides that the Board of Investments "foster and promote...the provision of efficient capital markets and facilities for borrowing money by eligible government units (this includes school districts) to pay for capital improvements and other needs as otherwise authorized by law."  Using this financing mechanism is voluntary on the part of eligible government units.  17-5-1607, MCA.

Related Articles

No related articles were found.


No attachments were found.

Visitor Comments

No visitor comments posted. Post a comment

Post Comment for "Bank Loans Permissible?"

To post a comment for this article, simply complete the form below. Fields marked with an asterisk are required.

* Comment:
* Enter the code below:


Article Details

Last Updated
3rd of February, 2010

Would you like to...

Print this page  Print this page

Email this page  Email this page

Post a comment  Post a comment

 Subscribe me

Subscribe me  Add to favorites

Remove Highlighting Remove Highlighting

Edit this Article

Quick Edit

Export to PDF

User Opinions

No users have voted.

How would you rate this answer?

Thank you for rating this answer.