Every Student Succeeds Act (ESSA)
At the Office of Public Instruction we have been thoroughly examining feedback on the Montana ESSA Plan submitted December 28th, as well as the new template and requirements from the Department of Education. OPI focus groups are working on sections of the plan that need to be revised or added to in the new template. We will be reaching out to all of you to join the focus groups along the way as well as ask that you provide feedback, input and any questions when we complete the first draft this July. If you have events in your community that we could attend to provide updates and gain feedback please contact us! We will be traveling statewide to discuss ESSA and meet with individuals throughout May and will be contacting as many of you as possible to set up meetings with your schools and communities. In June we will continue working on the revisions and then be back in your communities in July to gain community input and feedback so that revisions can be made before the plan is submitted to the Governor in August.
Currently we are working on:
- The new school expenditure reporting requirements
- In the coming week we will be asking LEA’s as well as MASBO to begin collaborating with our finance experts on this topic. We are currently working with a financial transparency collaborative made up of 25 states.
- Long term goals for academic achievement and graduation
- OPI staff are working on equations and growth models that make sense for schools as well as researching what is being done in neighboring states with similar demographics. We will soon have various ideas to present to our partners in education.
- We are hoping to use the SBAC data to help project more accurate long term goals when it comes in this summer.
- Accountability Indicators are being researched further.
- College and Career Readiness
- We are examining various models and indicators for college and career readiness. We have discussed mathematic pathways for this as well, STEM paths or others depending on the needs of the student. Collaboration between school superintendents, higher Ed., OPI, CTE and others will continue.
- Revising the Continuous School Improvement Plan (CSIP) for consolidation of school reporting and to promote meaningful improvement planning through collaboration of school teams.
Please send feedback, input and questions to ESSAinput@mt.gov
Goodbye NCLB, Hello ESSA!
Information and Documents
Montana is currently working toward submitting a high quality ESSA plan for all Montana students. Following is guidance and feedback from the Department of Education, Education Northwest and the Center for Assessment. These documents and input gathered from stakeholders across the state will help build a plan that will be submitted to the Governor in August to ‘Put all Montana Students First’.
- Dept of Ed Update on New Template
- Revised Consolidated State Plan Template
- Department of Ed Update on Submissions
- State Plan Fact Sheet
- State Plan Peer Review Criteria
- Montana ESSA Feedback - Center for Assessment
- Montana ESSA Feedback – Education Northwest
- Montana ESSA Template for the Consolidated State Plan