Requirements for Montana Class 6 School Counselor Specialist Licensure
There are two pathways to meeting Montana’s requirements for Class 6 School Counselor licensure. One of the following must be met:
- Completion of a Council for the Accreditation of Counseling and Related Education Programs (CACREP) accredited school counselor program which includes an internship in a school setting of 600 hours.
- Completion of a master’s degree in school counseling from a regionally accredited college or university which includes an internship in a school setting of 600 hours.
Additionally, each of the following must be met prior to licensure:
- Applicants must provide verification of the Montana required Praxis test score(s) meeting Montana standards for your endorsement area(s). Click here for PRAXIS information. (If your teaching program was completed through a Montana institution, check with them regarding this process.)
- Completion and verification of the free, on-line course “An Introduction to Indian Education for All in Montana”. Click here: http://learninghub.mrooms.net/course/index.php?categoryid=105 (If your teaching program was completed through a Montana institution, check with them regarding this process.)
Note: If you meet all requirements but hold:
- An unrestricted, expired out-of-state school counselor license.
- Have not earned 6 graduate level semester credits of college coursework from a regionally accredited college or university, within the past 5 years
Utilize this same application link, the system will automatically convert your Class 6 application to a Class 5 provisional license. The provisional license allows you to be employed in Montana as a school counselor while completing the outstanding requirements. This license is valid for a period of up to three years from date of validation.
If you have a bachelor’s degree and have not yet completed a School Counselor program but are within four courses of completion of the school counselor program, follow the step shown above.
- Complete the online application.
- The following are supplemental forms to the online application and must be submitted by mail and received/results received by OPI before your application can be processed:
- Official transcripts for both your bachelor’s and master’s degrees may be sent electronically from the college or university to firstname.lastname@example.org or mailed.
- Verification of required Praxis test scores submitted electronically to email@example.com or a copy of the original test results mailed.
- Original completion certificate for “An Introduction to Indian Education for All in Montana” (retain a copy for your records).
- A copy of your valid, unexpired out-of-state school counselor license (if applicable) sent electronically to firstname.lastname@example.org or mailed.
Mail all hard copy documents to:
Montana Office of Public Instruction
Attn. Educator Licensure
PO Box 202501
Helena, MT 59620
Questions: Please call us at 406-444-3150
Class 6 School Counselor Paper Application: If you choose to apply with this application, all forms within this application must be completed and returned before your application will be processed.
If you have a bachelor’s degree but have not completed your School Counselor program but are within four courses of doing so you may qualify for a Class 5 License for School Counselors.
If you have a current teaching license and would like to get your license in school counseling you may be interested in an internship. For more information and to find out if your qualify for an internship you should talk to your school and the college where you would like to complete your school counselor’s program.
You can use the School Counselor Internship Application to apply for your internship. The application will be turned in to the college where you will complete your program and they will notify the Office of Public instruction of your enrollment in the internship program.